Monday, August 16, 2010

Im married, now what do I do? (marriage in foreign country)?

Im a U.S. citizen, and I now live in Iceland. I recently got married here to an icelandic citizen, and Im wondering, what do I do now? Where do I go and what paperwork do I need to fill out? Do I apply for residency? How do I get healthcare? Can anyone please give me ANY advice, would be appreciated. Thanks.Im married, now what do I do? (marriage in foreign country)?
See a solicitor. Generally embassies aren't that helpful but do give general advice. Also find out if your marriage is actually legal. I found out mine wasn't (we had 100 people there)although I had a second one in an embassy (just the 2 of us)which is. So be careful xIm married, now what do I do? (marriage in foreign country)?
There is requirement for citizenship. I looked on the web for Icelandic citizenship requirements and found the form to fill in and useful information. this is the introduction:


As a rule, foreign nationals need residence permits to stay in Iceland for over three months. For short-term stays, see the chapter on visas under Travel %26amp; Leisure. Work permits must be obtained before arriving in Iceland. Foreign nationals must usually have been domiciled in Iceland for seven years before they can apply for citizenship.


Yet as you are married this introduction might not apply.
ask any lawyer in iceland, he will give u all details
You need to register your marriage/address with the US consulate in Iceland. I believe they have common health, so you would just need the ID card. Go to the Ministry of Health, with your marriage certificate and USA passport. Your husband would be more helpful than me. Congratulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment