Friday, August 20, 2010

How does getting married affect my FASFA?

My boyfriend and I are planning to get married sometime in the future. I am going to have to do 5 years of school and should *crosses fingers* graduate in fall of 2012. My boyfriend should graduate *crosses fingers* Spring of 2011.





How would getting married sometime in between those dates affect my FASFA? Also, is there any benefits I get from being married? Thanks!How does getting married affect my FASFA?
You're still young, so be careful. This is a big, life-changing decision.





Now, since you are under 24, not married and don't have any children (I'm assuming all this), you have to claim your and your parents' tax information. When you get married, you'll claim yours and your then-husband's. If you and your then-husband make more then your parents and you combined, you'll obviously get less financial aid.





Let's say you get married on, I don't know, January 5th, 2010. You'll have to correct your FAFSA for 2010-2011 if you already entered it (though chances are you wouldn't have already). I don't think you'll have to do your 2009-2010, since you made that when you weren't married. But talk to your colleges.





Good luck with your education and marriage.How does getting married affect my FASFA?
There is no benefits really of being married. The only thing they'll do is look at you and your bfs income and assets instead of your parents. If you all make less and two people are in college you'll most likely get more aid or the same depending on what you already get. Do keep in mind that if yall get married this year it wouldn't go into effect for fafsa until this time next year as they do go based off of the previous years tax papers and not the current one.
If your under 25 and still have to claim your parents income on FAFSA and they make more than your boyfriend, by getting married, you would then have to claim your boyfriends income instead, and should get more money.
  • blond hair
  • celeb myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment