Monday, August 16, 2010

How long do I have to be married to a New Zealand resident before I can stay there?

I was in Nz for a year now, and ended up falling in love...my partner would sponsor me, but right now, I'm back in Europe (have a french passport) now, had to leavr the country after my visa expired,and we think getting married would be the best way to get me back.


I don't have skills to apply for a work-visa, and my work and holiday visa, as i said, is used up already.


So if I go back on a tourist-Visa, can I get married, and just stay in Nz with him after?


We met about 6 months ago, and haven't been living together, but would of course move in with my partner as soon as I'm there...How long do I have to be married to a New Zealand resident before I can stay there?
Berger Google their immigration department and they will have all the stuff on line





But BEST to get a fiance visa and do it properly or you could get married and they still say good bye to youHow long do I have to be married to a New Zealand resident before I can stay there?
If you go back to New Zealand on a tourist visa and marry or begin living together immediately, your partner can apply to sponsor you for a temporary work visa for up to 12 months.





A potential problem is that your tourist visa will only be for 3 months and NZ immigration may not consider that to be long enough to prove that you are in a genuine and stable relationship so that you qualify for partnership based temporary entry.





If you can overcome that hurdle and are in New Zealand on a partnership based temporary entry permit, you can apply for further work permits for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:


鈥?you want to stay longer in New Zealand and can prove that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or


鈥?you apply for residence as a partner.


http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/s鈥?/a>





You will have to live together for at least 12 months before he can sponsor you for a Residence Permit which will allow you to live in New Zealand indefinitely but which expires when you leave New Zealand (though you can travel overseas for limited periods).


http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/s鈥?/a>





After meeting residence requirements for 5 years, you can apply for New Zealand citizenship.

No comments:

Post a Comment