Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Did you know how to cook before you got married?

I'm very conservative and believe in traditional roles for a man and woman so when I get married I will be doing the majority of the cooking. I know some very basic stuff from helping my mother and my grandmother, but I've never actually made a meal by myself. I'm in college so it's kind of hard to learn in a dorm room where we are allowed nothing but a refrigerator and a microwave. Do I necessarily need to know how to cook before I get married? Or will I just pick it up as I go along?Did you know how to cook before you got married?
You'll pick it up as you go along it's really simple actuallyDid you know how to cook before you got married?
The only difference between a pro cook and a newbie is that a newbie reads directions and follows advice on how much (salt/spice/of a certain vegetable/whatever) to add, and a pro does it by ';feel'; and on what they have found to be best.





You'll initially make things based on recipes given by friends, family, TV, cookbooks, etc., and eventually you'll just toss in the right amounts while chatting on the phone, barely giving it any thought.





Either way, it's pretty easy.





All of that said, gender roles are kind of silly, and what you call traditional really isn't traditional at all, or at least it hasn't been for all that long. Every man I've ever spoken to over 60 can cook up a storm, and not just on a grill. Also, professional cooks are still often men (when you imagine the cook in the back of a restaurant, the image that pops up in your head is of a man), and It's an essential skill that everyone knew and used before modern times. Cook because you like to cook, not because you think that's what is expected of you.
I know exactly how you feel! I was the same way, I only cooked with my mom and grandma and it was just that occasional lasagna or home made biscuits, so I never really cooked a whole meal on my own. When I got married I just bought some cook books and cooked whatever sounded nice and held my breathe while I watched my husband take that first bite lol!! And it turns out I'm the best cook of all the wives I hang out with! I was sooo surprised. So my advice is to just jump head first into those cook books and moms old recipes and tell yourself you can do it!
You'll pick it up, but watching the cooking channel in the meantime won't hurt.
Youbetchasweetiepie!





Cactus Jack invented ';Too Good to be True BBQ Stew';!
I didn't know very much, but my husband is a pastry chef and he's helped me learn over the years. Now I enjoy cooking, but he still handles the majority of our meals.
You'll pick it up as you go along. Be sure to get some good cook books and just follow them. The first time I made mashed potatoes, I burned them. All the water evaporated out of the pot and the potatoes burned...that was quite a few years back, and now I'm highly commended on my cooking skills.
My mom taught me to cook since I was 10 years old lol! I come from an Indian family and my mom is just another traditional North Indian mommy.. I could cook all kinds of Indian food by the time i was 12! My mom thought I would marry into a traditional Indian family to an Indian guy and would take up the homemaker role and cook Indian food everyday for my hubby.. My life took a different twist! I fell in love with a cute White American Guy then finished my school, got a job and the job keeps me so busy that there is no time to cook.. Although I still make the best, the most authentic Chicken Biriyani in the world for which I have a secret recipe that no one has, takes like 10 hours to make! Make it every year at Christmas.. And my American in-laws love it like crazy.. they just wait for Christmas every year to eat the biriyani! Dont make it the rest of the time cos its time consuming and also to keep its status special and eagerly awaited!
You pick it up as you go along as needed. There is an old joke about the first year being nothing but burned dinner. There is a reason that joke exists.
My dad's family are all cooks. My grandma taught all her kids that they should know how to cook, so my dad taught me how to make a lot of stuff. My mom's mom worked a lot but knew how to make really fast easy meals and that's what I learned from my mom. I love to cook, I think it's fun, but I don't do it because I think it's my ROLE.





That, and I don't want my husband cooking unless it's on the grill. He makes some f***ed up sh*t.
First find a man!! he might know how to cook his self or maybe he does not care if you can cook!!!! times are changing!!!
As kids in High School my brothers and sister were required to cook one meal a week for the family. We had to plan the meal, do the shopping to get what was needed and cook it. The rest of the kids got to clean up. So yes I do cook.
Yeah cooking is easy. I didnt get taught anything by my mother either, and when I went to university no one taught me so I survived on microwave meals. But gradually I learned by trial and error. I am now with someone years later and hes very happy with my cooking so Im sure you will be the same. Dont stress so much over it.
You don't have to know how to cook but it would be nice.


When I used to work at the night club I found that the men that stayed faithful either had storng moral values or had women at home that cooked for them.





As for me I've gotten a little better, before I would often use the smoke detector as food timer.

No comments:

Post a Comment